San Diego Comic Con’s second day of programming is at least twice as crazy as their first. There are so many scheduled panels, especially for television, I couldn’t even begin to list all of the ones I’m interested in. But I’m going to try.
Hall H has got some amazing things scheduled for Friday, with lots of as-of-yet-unrevealed sneak peaks planned for 20th Century Fox, an animation block and a preview of upcoming films Horns and Everly. But my Hall H picks are:
- AMC’s The Walking Dead: Andrew Lincoln, Norman Reedus, Steven Yeun, Lauren Cohan, Danai Gurira, Melissa McBride, Chad Coleman, and Michael Cudlitz join executive producer and showrunner Scott Gimple, executive producer Robert Kirkman, executive producer Gale Anne Hurd, executive producer Dave Alpert, and special effects makeup supervisor and executive producer Greg Nicotero in a panel moderated by Chris Hardwick (The Nerdist, Talking Dead) to discuss the shocking finale of season 4 of The Walking Dead and what to look forward to in season 5, debuting this fall on AMC. Join the panelists for a Q&A session and an official sneak preview of season 5. Friday July 25, 2014 12:20pm – 1:20pm Hall H
- Game of Thrones: Based on the bestselling fantasy book series A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin, HBO’s Game of Thrones concluded its 10-episode fourth season in June and will begin filming its fifth season this summer. The series, executive produced and written by David Benioff and D. B. Weiss, is an epic story of treachery and nobility, set on the continent of Westeros, where summers and winters can last years. Featured cast include (in alphabetical order) Gwendoline Christie as Brienne of Tarth, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau as Jaime Lannister, Natalie Dormer as Margaery Baratheon, Kit Harington as Jon Snow, Rose Leslie as Ygritte, Rory McCann as Sandor Clegane (“The Hound”), Pedro Pascal as Oberyn Martell, Sophie Turner as Sansa Stark, and Maisie Williams as Arya Stark. Friday July 25, 2014 1:40pm – 2:40pm Hall H
Ballroom 20 looks like a good place to be on Friday if you’re don’t feel like camping out (for as long), with panels scheduled for Bones, The Originals, and Arrow. I personally recommend:
- Legend of Korra: Book 3: Executive producer and creator team Bryan Konietzko and Mike DiMartino (Avatar: The Last Airbender) give a behind-the-scenes peek at how they create one of animation’s most stunning television productions. Panelists include voice actors Janet Varney (Korra), David Faustino (Mako), P. J. Byrne (Bolin), Seychelle Gabriel (Asami), and Mindy Sterling (Lin Beifong). Including an exclusive sneak peek screening of a new episode for Book 3, “Change.” Moderated by Megan Casey (VP of current series for Nickelodeon). Friday July 25, 2014 11:15am – 12:15pm Ballroom 20
- Marvel Television Presents: Jeph Loeb (Marvel’s head of television) returns with exciting news and fun surprises for fans! Join Jeph and the casts of Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Marvel’s Agent Carter in this can’t-miss panel that will take you behind the scenes and into the future of Marvel’s live-action television series. Friday July 25, 2014 3:00pm – 4:00pm Ballroom 20
- If you’d rather not wait all day for your television, you’re in luck. Friday scheduling is filled with lots of non-Hall H or Ballroom 20 shows, both new and returning. You’ll find panels for shows like Orphan Black, iZombie, Outlander, and Adventure Time. My picks are:
- Gravity Falls: Creator and executive producer Alex Hirsch (Grunkle Stan) is joined by series stars Kristen Schaal (Mabel), Jason Ritter (Dipper), and Thurop Van Orman (L’il Gideon) to uncover the mysteries of Disney Channel’s hit series Gravity Falls. Find out what’s in store for television’s spookiest town with exclusive clips from the show’s exciting upcoming season and an audience Q&A. The panel will also feature sneak peeks of two new animated shows coming to Disney XD! Friday July 25, 2014 1:00pm – 2:00pm Room 6A
- Archer: The popular animated comedy revolves around the International Secret Intelligence Service (ISIS) and its employees who use every covert operation and global crisis as another excuse to undermine, sabotage and betray each other for personal gain. See an exclusive screening of an original short animation piece created specifically for SDCC, plus the upcoming never-before-seen season 6 premiere episode. Then join the voice cast of H. Jon Benjamin (Bob’s Burgers), Aisha Tyler (The Talk), Chris Parnell (21 Jump Street), Judy Greer (Arrested Development), Amber Nash (Frisky Dingo), and Lucky Yates (Good Eats), plus creator Adam Reed (Sealab 2021) and co-executive producer Casey Willis as they discuss bringing this animated series to life. Friday July 25, 2014 5:00pm – 6:00pm Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront
- Sleepy Hollow: Executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci (Star Trek, Fringe, Spider Man 2), Len Wiseman (Underworld, Total Recall), Mark Goffman, and Heather Kadin return to Comic-Con with the breakout show of the year, featuring an exclusive look at the highly-anticipated second season followed by a fan Q&A featuring cast members Tom Mison, Nicole Beharie, John Noble, Orlando Jones, and Lyndie Greenwood! Friday July 25, 2014 5:45pm – 6:45pm Room 6BCF
Of course, if you’re not at SDCC for any of that, there’s still ridiculous amounts of panels to attend for whatever suits your interests. My favorites are:
- Gender in Comics: Panelists explore both the role of gender in mainstream and independent comics, as well as the impact of gender politics on the business side of the industry and in the media. Moderated by comics editor Janelle Asselin, the panel includes ComicsAlliance.com senior editor Andy Khouri, BOOM! Studios editor Dafna Pleban, comics writer James Tynion IV (The Woods), Image comics director of trade book sales Jennifer de Guzman, and WIRED writer Laura Hudson. Friday July 25, 2014 10:00am – 11:00am Room 4
- Spotlight on Mike Mignola: Comic-Con special guest Mike Mignola celebrates the 20th anniversary of his iconic creation Hellboy, star of comics, movies, and animation. Ask Mike about the Mignolaverse in this casual Q&A. Friday July 25, 2014 12:30pm – 1:30pm Room 24ABC
- The Thrilling Adventure Hour: Stage show for 9+ years, web series and podcast on the Nerdist Network rated #4 in comedy by Rolling Stone (May 2014), Eisner Award-nominated graphic novel from Archaia Entertainment, highly anticipated concert film-The Thrilling Adventure Hour is a cult phenomenon coming to San Diego in the midst of their nationwide con tour to celebrate current and future plans for comics, TV, and beyond. Creators Ben Acker and Ben Blacker (Marvel) will discuss 2014 plans and exclusive announcements, featuring the WorkJuice Players including Hal Lublin, Marc Evan Jackson, Mark Gagliardi, Autumn Reeser, and Craig Cackowski, plus special guests Molly Quinn (Castle), Janet Varney (Legend of Korra), Paul and Storm, and special surprise guests. Friday July 25, 2014 8:30pm – 9:30pm Room 8
These aren’t even a fraction of what you can do on Friday, so be sure to check out the entire list here. There are still two more days of scheduling left, so keep checking back for my picks for Saturday and Sunday.
Images are copyright of Comic Con International, HBO, ABC, Marvel Entertainment LLC, Disney, and FOX.
2 thoughts on “San Diego Comic Con Schedule Highlights: Friday”
I’m using your posts as a cheat sheet! Hopefully I get the chance to see a little when not working.
Yay! A lot of the big media stuff is going to be of the “wait in line for hours” variety, but you might have the clout to work something out that I don’t 😛 Otherwise, there’s freakish amounts of comics panels, lots of panels on women and their relationship with geek interest media, lots of cool stuff.