San Diego Comic Con’s schedule for Saturday is filled with a lot of exciting stuff, especially in the non Hall-H/Ballroom 20 lines. There just isn’t enough time to see everything, but I’ve got some recommendations regardless.
Hall H has a lot of movie offerings today, with showcases for Legendary Pictures, and Warner Brothers. My personal picks are:
- The Boxtrolls: Focus Features presents The Boxtrolls, a new family event movie from LAIKA, the creators of Coraline and ParaNorman, that introduces audiences to a new breed of family- The Boxtrolls, a community of quirky, mischievous creatures who have lovingly raised an orphaned human boy named Eggs (voiced by Isaac Hempstead Wright of Game of Thrones) in the amazing cavernous home they’ve built beneath the streets of Cheesebridge. When the town’s villain, Archibald Snatcher (Academy Award winner Ben Kingsley), comes up with a plot to get rid of the Boxtrolls, Eggs decides to venture above ground, “into the light,” where he meets and teams up with fabulously feisty Winnie (Elle Fanning). Together, they devise a daring plan to save Eggs’ family. Appearing in person are actors Ben Kingsley, Isaac Hempstead Wright, and Elle Fanning; producer and lead animator, LAIKA president and CEO Travis Knight; and directors Anthony Stacchi and Graham Annable. Saturday July 26, 2014 1:30pm – 2:30pm Hall H
- Entertainment Weekly: Women Who Kick Ass: A discussion among Maisie Williams (Game of Thrones), Katey Sagal (Sons of Anarchy), Tatiana Maslany (Orphan Black), Natalie Dormer (Game of Thrones), and other fierce, fearless, and flat-out fantastic female actors who open up about the power and privilege of playing women who redefine the rules and refuse to yield. Saturday July 26, 2014 4:10pm – 5:10pm Hall H
- Marvel Studios: Marvel Studios president and producer Kevin Feige and special guests provide an inside look at the ever-expanding Marvel Cinematic Universe. Saturday July 26, 2014 5:30pm – 6:30pm Hall H
Ballroom 20 has panels for all sorts of TV shows, including The Simpsons, Once Upon a Time, and Grimm. But if you’re looking for something you’ll not likely see again, check out:
- True Blood Panel and Q&A: Mixing romance, suspense, mystery, and humor, the Emmy and Golden Globe nominated True Blood kicked off its 10-episode seventh and final season June 22 on HBO. The series follows waitress and part-faerie Sookie Stackhouse (Oscar and Golden Globe Award winner Anna Paquin), who can hear people’s thoughts, and vampires Bill Compton (Stephen Moyer) and Eric Northman (Alexander Skarsgård). Brian Buckner serves as executive producer of the series, which also features Ryan Kwanten as Jason Stackhouse, Sam Trammell as Sam Merlotte, Rutina Wesley as Tara Thornton, Nelsan Ellis as Lafayette, Deborah Ann Woll as Jessica Hamby, Kristin Bauer van Straten as Pam; Joe Manganiello as Alcide, Carrie Preston as Arlene Bellefleur, and Chris Baueras Andy Bellefleur, Anna Camp as Sarah Newlin and Nathan Parsons as James. Oscar and Emmy Award winner Alan Ball created and is also an executive producer on the series, which is based on the bestselling Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. Moderated by Tim Stack of Entertainment Weekly. Saturday July 26, 2014 5:00pm – 6:15pm Ballroom 20
There are tons more to see outside of the two biggest halls, and Saturday has some of the most exciting panels. I personally recommend:
- Cartoon Network: Steven Universe: Believe in Garnet, Amethyst, Pearl…and STEVEN at this star-studded, musically inspired gem of a panel brought to you by Cartoon Network. Sure to delight your eyeballs and earlobes, you won’t want to miss a moment of the magic. Get the inside scoop and exclusive content from the following guardians of the universe: Steven Universe creator Rebecca Sugar, Ian Jones-Quartey(supervising director), Zach Callison (Steven), Estelle (Garnet), Deedee Magno Hall (Pearl), Michaela Dietz (Amethyst), and Tom Scharpling (Greg Universe). Saturday July 26, 2014 10:00am – 11:00am Indigo Ballroom, Hilton San Diego Bayfront
- Sailor Moon Official Panel: VIZ Media is releasing the 200-episode classic Sailor Moon series for the first time on Blu-ray and with an all-new completely uncut and uncensored English dub. Join members of the VIZ Animation team for a presentation on all the ins and outs of the production of this legendary anime series. Bring your questions, too, for the Q&A session at the end! Saturday July 26, 2014 12:30pm – 1:30pm Room 5AB
- Saga: You know Saga. You love Saga. You can’t get enough of Saga. Luckily, this year, series creators Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples are ready, rested, and eager to talk to you about Saga. What’s coming up next on you-know-what? How could they do that thing to you-know-who? Whether you’re coming in your finest cosplay or street clothes, you need to come to this panel. Saturday July 26, 2014 1:00pm – 2:00pm Room 7AB
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 30th Anniversary: In 1984, Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird published the first issue of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. The comic book was an overnight success, and three decades later, the Turtles are more popular than ever, starring in a hit Nickelodeon television series, an award-winning toy line, monthly comic books from IDW, and a new live-action movie later this summer. Join TMNT co-creator Kevin Eastman for a 30th anniversary celebration featuring a who’s who of talented people who have contributed to the Turtles’ enduring history. Guests include Karl Aaronian (Playmates Toys), Townsend Coleman (voice of Michelangelo in the original TMNT animated series), Lloyd Goldfine (4kids TMNT, Turtles Forever), Ciro Nieli (executive producer, Nickelodeon TMNT), Ernie Reyes Jr.(Keno inTMNT II: The Secret of the Ooze), and Tom Waltz (writer, IDW TMNT comics), and panel moderator Andrew Farago (curator, Cartoon Art Museum; author of TMNT: The Ultimate Visual History). Saturday July 26, 2014 2:00pm – 3:00pm Room 23ABC
- Constantine: John Constantine is a man waging war against the forces of darkness-from both within himself and the outside world. An irreverent, working-class con man and occult expert, he’s an experienced exorcist and demonologist with an extensive list of supernatural contacts, each with their own paranormal talents and abilities. Following the aftermath of a tragic incident, Constantine has voluntarily checked himself into an asylum and sworn off investigating matters of the supernatural, but when a cryptic message calls him out to reluctantly resume his old life, he finds himself saving the life of a young woman whom he’s never met but is connected to in a very important way. With dark forces gathering power in the world, Constantine allies himself with Manny, a rogue warrior angel, and his giant childhood protector Chas-the only friend who’s managed to stay alive. Based on characters published by DC Entertainment, Constantine reflects the lore of the fan-favorite comic, combining noirish storytelling with the evolving mythology of John Constantine, a morally challenged character who doesn’t come down on the side of either good or evil…but ultimately might be the only thing defending us against the dark forces from beyond. Attendees will see a screening of the complete pilot, followed by a Q&A with series stars Matt Ryan (Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior), Harold Perrineau (Lost) and Charles Halford (True Detective) and executive producers Daniel Cerone (Dexter) and David S. Goyer (The Dark Knight trilogy). From Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Warner Bros. Television, Constantine will air Fridays at 10/9c on NBC this fall, premiering October 24th. Saturday July 26, 2014 5:15pm – 6:15pm Room 6BCF
Check out the full list here. Tune back in tomorrow for my picks for the last day of programming.
Images and properties are copyright of Comic Con International, Marvel Entertainment LLC, HBO, and NBC.